Blogger Layouts

Pages

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Unity

I was struck by the message the pastor at my church gave this morning. It made me think of two things.

1. Last week, at my get-together with old friends, one friend made an astute comment on how there is strife in churches because this is a sign of the last days.

2. Having seen first hand what strife can do to a church, I believe this to be true.

With that being said, I'm reminded of this song. It's a simple song, but this particular version gives this mood of preparing for something. It also ties in to the message our pastor gave this morning. If we're not united, we fall, and we fall hard.

Also, I'm reminded of my motto with parenting: "It's not what they want, it's what they need!" Sometimes, the truth hurts, but the truth really shall set you free. I'm a better person when people tell me the truth, especially when it puts me in my place. I don't like it, sometimes, I REALLY DON'T LIKE IT, and other times, I LOATHE IT WITH A FIREY PASSION OF TEN THOUSAND SUNS. However, I ALWAYS know that in the end, I can be a better person for hearing it. God tells the truth to help us, not hinder us. It's not about making us feel good, it's about making us better. God wants to make us better people and for us to realize we can't be anything with Him.

To be blunt, I have to say if I do it on my own, I pretty much suck.

2 comments:

April Feagley said...

Strife in a church is a lot like an infection in the body. It can be devastating if it is not contained. I think yesterday's sermon was a huge shot of antibiotic.

Kylie said...

Amen to that, April!!!