So, I guess my son falls into that category. I don't know what this means, exactly, but it's frustrating, to say the least.
I also hate Google. Well, not Google as much as I hate the fact that every single, stinking, solitary day, I look up information on late-talking toddlers. I get a wide array of information from 'autism' to 'Einstein Syndrome'. It hurts my head.
I wrote earlier about being a 'competitive' mommy. It's coming back, full force. I see other kids around his age who are talking up a storm, but my son isn't. I read he's supposed to have at least 10-30 words by his age in development. He does not. I do everything a parent is supposed to do to encourage talking. I narrate things I do. I sing to him when he gets a bath, I sing to him and narrate while I get his breakfast in the mornings. He gets plenty of verbal stimulation at the babysitter's during the day. I read to him. This kid STILL won't talk. Well, I can't say he won't say a word. He babbles like the dickens. He says mama and dada and nanananana (no). Those are the words I can comprehend. Most of the time, he speaks what sounds like French to me.
This isn't to say he's some sort of statue. He listens as well as you can expect for an almost 18-month-old child. He definitely knows the word no. If you tell him not to do something, he'll stop, but not without throwing a tantrum first. He also follows instruction well. He will come to me if I ask him. He'll throw a ball when asked. He also knows how to 'pretend' to do things like comb his hair, talk on the phone, brush his teeth, stir things with a spoon, pick up a up and start to drink. He can point to body parts like his tummy and knees and my nose, mouth, eyes and ears and certain pictures in books (if he really likes the picture, of course).
He also has his family history with which to contend. Apparently, I didn't talk until I was almost three. Two things were against me. One, I had ear issues and eventually got tubes for my ears when I was in kindergarten. Two, I had three older sisters who got everything for me. I'm unsure of Matt, but I do know he had ear issues as a kid as well. He also had tubes in his ears.
This leads me to wonder whether or not I should worry more about this. It's all so confusing when it comes to parenting.
Gargh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment