Blogger Layouts

Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Socially Awkward Tuesday: Advice That You Just Can't Take. . . Seriously

Note: Possible grammar fail inception may occur. Wouldn't that be ironic. . . don't ya think?

I love good grammar. I like it as much as I like macaroni and cheese, and I by like, I really mean LOOOVVVVVEEEEEEE. So, much to the delight of my grammar-nazi heart, I've seen a couple of articles in the past couple of days stressing the importance of grammar and spelling on websites. I think it's really important to never underestimate the importance of a good copy editor, but it's kind of hard to take an article seriously when you see something like this: Copywriting experts warn that sloppy copy can impact on your websites.


What exactly does that mean? Now, if the blurb under the headline would have read, "Copywriting experts warn that bad copy can have an impact on your website!", I would have understood it. If you read it as is, it just sounds kind of dirty. It may turn out that I'm wrong, though, so this is where I'll take the time to say this is some sort of grammar inception. I want to create some vortex where I'm being completely ironic, leaving you confused and befuddled. It just so happens that some of my best work happens by crazy random happenstance.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Although I haven't been "formally trained", I consider myself to be, (and have been called on many a forum) a grammar nazi as well.

It's hard to take someone's writings seriously if their content is littered with spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors as well as poor sentence/paragraph structure. Improper uses of common homonyms such as "to", "too", "they're", "their", "its" and "it's" bother me as well.

My mother pounded the usage of proper grammar - both written and spoken - into my head from an early age, and I'm glad that she did.

Another thing that bothers me is internet-speak, (e.g., r u goin 2 b ther 2nite? LOLOMGWTFBBQFBICIABRB!!!1).

Lauren said...

Just a few weeks away from a real, audible connection. NPH completely embodies awkwardness in Dr. Horrible :)