Blogger Layouts

Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Experiments in photography


I've always been willing to accept the fact I'm not a photographer. Not even close. I never tried to do anything about it, either. I didn't have a need to do so.

Well, times have changed. . .

While most larger newspapers have photojournalists, not where I work. This means I need to become a better photographer.

Here's the thing, though. I actually kind of want to do so. I've been experimenting a little bit lately, and I've actually taken pictures I can say I'm proud of.

Before you judgey mcjudgerson awesome photographers say anything, keep in mind I'm only beginner. I have a simple point and shoot camera, but I want to learn more about what pictures I can and cannot take. As it was explained to me earlier today, you need to become friends with your camera. Learn how it works and what it can do. Something obvious, right? Well, not really if you never considered yourself a photographer and never wanted to learn.

Well, now I actually want to learn.

I can't show you all of them due to some of them being work-related photos and copyright issues, but I'll give you a sampling. 

This is my son, Colin, and his grandfather. I took this photo before I started my new job. I got lucky, but I really like this photo. They were tearing down their old home, and it kind of captures how my father-in-law may have felt. 

I got lucky with this one. We were coming home from. . . somewhere, but I forget. I do know we saw a blimp, and I wanted to take some pics, but I missed the blimp. Instead, I got this shot of the fields near my home. Lucky break. I love the contrast of the blue sky and green field. 
Two zebras just chillin' at Lake Tobias in Halifax, Pa. This pic would be even better if there wasn't a hand in it, but I liked it.
Contrary bird. I don't know what kind of bird it is, but I just remember I stuck the lens between the holes of the cage, zoomed in and got it.
Geese! I was on assignment, but I couldn't resist.
Poor guys. This is also at Lake Tobias. This pic would have been even better without the cage; however, I think the cage says something about how they pretty much hate being trapped. It makes me feel sorry for them. 
My son petting a goat at the petting zoo at Lake Tobias. I love the expression on his face. You can tell he's not torturing the poor animal, but petting him with care.
These are flowers my aunt transplanted from my late grandmother's garden. Lilies are pretty. I love the bright colors.
This is a pic that wasn't used or posted online for purchase for another assignment. I kind of like it. P.S. I also spoke with this lady specifically so she didn't think I was a stalker, cause, you know, random people taking pictures of you may cause a bit of suspicion.  
This is from the overlook at Raystown Dam. It's a long way down.
I know it's kind of blurry, but I like the effect.
If you know me personally, you'll know this overlook shares my last name. Also at Raystown Lake.
I love the last light of sun peeking through the trees.
This was taken earlier this evening from my car. I like how it turned out.
Have you driven a Ford lately? Just experimenting.
Sunset at Raystown Dam. Goodbye, sun!
Now I just have to learn how to use my setting with things that involve a flash. Ha. Baby steps, people. Baby steps. Off to the internets.

4 comments:

father said...

Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

Kylie, the pictures are really nice..

Lauren said...

Pretty good IMO! Only "judgy mcjudgerson" thing I will say (and not judging, helping) is about "the rule of thirds." Something to remember for photo like the first one and the one with the geese. you inadvertently did it in the one of the person walking their dog.
here's a link!

http://photoinf.com/General/KODAK/guidelines_for_better_photographic_composition_rule_of_thirds.html

Kylie said...

I was reading about that last night, Lauren. I don't think you're judging, you were helping! I'll definitely read more about it, cause in my piddly research, I found that last night.

I also learned I'm at a disadvantage with my piddly camera when it comes to inside, dark pics. I still want a fancy one, but for daylight pics without flash, I can get some good shots.