Apparently, the woman who wrote this article forgot a couple of things when she wrote this article. Well, maybe not a couple. More like a billion things, but I'll mention a few. Before reading this blog, I suggest you take a look at the article. Once you're done, you can come back. I'll wait.
*cue Jeopardy waiting music*
You're done now? Okay, I'll continue.
Well, first off, let's just say, I'm SOOOOOO glad I read this article; otherwise, I wouldn't have known that I was supposed to talk to my baby. Geez, for the past ten months, I didn't know I was supposed to talk to him. I mean, I haven't sang to him, talked to him, read to him, and encouraged any communication at all. Thank you, Jane, for telling me this is what I need to do. I don't know where in the world he heard the word "uh oh" from, or 'bababa' or 'dadada' or anything else that remotely sounds like he's trying to communicate. I guess I've been too busy going to Miss Jane's Brooklyn neighborhood pushing my baby in his stroller while I wax philosophical about life on my blackberry to random people.
I wish there was a specific font dedicated to sarcasm, because if there was, that previous paragraph would have it.
This article invoked this reaction in me upon reading it: "DUH!"
I mean, really, just because you see women on phones pushing their babies around as you cavort through your neighborhood is hardly sufficient evidence to determine that those mothers aren't communicating in any way to their babies.
Also, I think Miss Jane has neglected to mention that this little piece of information has been in parenting guides for, I would guess, ever since they've been writing books on parenting.
Seriously, this article is made of condensending fail. There's no other basis for her writing this article other than a casual observation of her neighborhood? There are no studies, or surveys, or anything scientific to prove that mothers are communicating with their babies less than they did before Blackberries?
Granted, I do understand there are those who should read this, but like I said before, if you're going to write about communication between parents and babies, you need a little more substance and oh, some facts, before you write an article that's simply based on one's casual observation. She could have easily provided statistical analysis on things, and put things into perspective before she wrote what was her own 'personal' conclusion.
I mean, I have theories as well, but if I were writing for any newspaper, I'd have sources, facts, and analysis to back up any theory I wish to write about.
Overall, this is a horrible article published in what is 'supposed' to be a reputable newspaper.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Don't you love reading articles written by Captain Obvious?
Post a Comment