A big word that Pappy taught me and my sister, Trisha, a long time ago. I remember the time vividly now, though I had forgotten it.
I remember sitting in the kitchen and he started to talk about the war and mentioned the nomenclature of something. I immediately started to question the validity of the word, but as the internet kids say, I was "pwned" by my grandfather when he pointed out that it was, indeed, a word. He was using it in reference to the nomenclature of a gun. To this day, this is the reason why I know the meaning of this "fifty-cent" word. Every time we'd visit after this time, he'd always mention the word nomenclature of something :)
His funeral was today. A day of mourning and rejoicing. Rejoicing because he's in Heaven with the Lord. These times always bring up the child-like questions of what Heaven will be like. I wonder if spouses on earth get to share mansions in Heaven. I wonder if they eat apple butter in Heaven. I wonder what mansions look like in Heaven, because we are all promised mansions! It's hard to imagine what Heaven is like when we can only think about it with our simple human minds. As a result, I have all of these simple, childish type of questions in regards to what Heaven will actually be like! Further proof that we are truly children of God.
Obviously a day of mourning because Pappy is gone. What's so amazing about him is the fact that even at the worst of his illness, he always had an amazing sense of humor. He got to a point where he couldn't even walk anymore, so my Aunt Brenda would ask if he wanted to take a ride in his "car" (the wheelchair). He'd say yes, get in and go "vrooooooooooooooooom". Those who know me and my strange sense of humor can know from whence it came. Well, partially. My father is pretty goofy, too, but he got it from Pappy. He was the patriarch of the silliness in the family.
It's also further proof that God uses a sense of humor to help some get through the toughest of situations. At least that's how He speaks to me. I don't know how it works for others, but it works that way with me. I have a feeling it may have worked the same way for my Pappy. Perhaps. I hope so. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment