Blogger Layouts

Pages

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Out of the Bitter Barn

This past week has been, to say the least, a bit taxing on me. New Year's Eve, as I was traveling to work, someone hits my car. I was stopped at an intersection, and a car was trying to make a right turn. The person driving took this turn a little too wide, tried to slow down, and on snow-covered roads, the car probably wasn't cooperating, so I watched... in slow motion... another driver hit my car. We did the whole insurance exchange information; however, I was surprisingly calm. The only indication that I was upset was the shaking of my hands.

Thankfully, the driver was nice, immediately called her insurance company, and since this time, they've accepted full responsibility for the wreck, and my car will be fixed once the appraiser comes and assesses the damages on my car. It's nice that there are people in this world who will accept responsibility for their mistakes. It doesn't happen so much anymore. It's kind of sad that I'm surprised by that, but nevertheless, I'm happy they have, and the ordeal will come to an end once my car is fixed. Hooray!

Secondly, the sad news. My grandfather passed away this past Saturday, after a long battle with Alzheimer's disease. I'm happy to say that he knew the Lord, so he's now in Heaven with the Lord and with my grandmother. What's really bothering me is that I'm not crying about this. I feel sad, but in many ways, the Pappy I knew for my entire life went away as the disease overtook him. I'm joyous that he's no longer suffering and in Eternal Glory with the Lord. It's sad that he's gone, but it wasn't unexpected, so I guess I had plenty of time to prepare for this. I'm also glad I have lots of wonderful memories of him and my grandmother, who passed away two years ago. A very simple thing I think is kind of neat is the fact that all I have to do is write something with a pen or pencil to think of him, as he was a southpaw, just like I am. He's pretty much proof that southpaws are awesome.

I also have to give credit to my Aunt Brenda, who took care of him after my grandmother died. Lots of people were saying to put him in a home, but she refused to do it. She wanted to honor the wishes of her parents, so she made taking care of my Pappy her life's work for the two years. She had help with nurses, a family friend named Michelle, and eventually, Hospice, but she devoted her entire life to taking care of him. She would probably tell you how difficult it was, but honestly, looking at her, I definitely see the Lord at work. She told me that if she gets the opportunity, she would like to go back to school and go into Hospice care for other patients. She definitely would have a unique perspective. I also know she leaned on the Lord. Just thinking about this makes me realize what a remarkable work the Lord has done, and I have a sense of joy knowing she let Him do it. All parents deserve a wonderful son or daughter that is devoted to their parents like she was. I also know the Lord only gives the strength when it's needed, and to the outside, some people would say "How did she do this?" I know it's the Lord. She would probably say the same thing.

Thirdly... well, just some stuff that has nothing to do with the above two things had left me bitter, which gets to the point of this blog. The devil likes to work overtime in situations like these, compounding one thing over another, and like the weak-minded human I am, I fall for it. Well, devil, I fall for it no more. I've initiated the devil smackdown and I'm getting out of the bitter barn to play in the hay. Which simply means, the stuff that the devil is trying to crowd in to make me feel bitter, are things that I will think about, learn my mistakes, accept it, and move on and enjoy everything the Lord has given me. I've been truly blessed.

Yeah, the devil doesn't get a capital D. HAHA! God wins! :D

No comments: