I think I speak sarcasm better than I speak English. It does, however, make for some awkward moments. In particular, those moments when people don't know that you are, in fact, using it.
Some moments, in my opinion, just warrant a sarcastic remark. Just enough snark to lighten the mood, but not so much that it's hurtful or spiteful.
It always happens when I think, oh, man, do I have a zinger for this story. I get excited, tuning out the rest of the story, just WAITING for my time to say my perfectly witty, sarcastic remark. The story ends, and then I say it. I think, people are going to snicker.
There's silence.
Confusion.
Awkwardness.
I wonder what is happening. Did I say something wrong? Then it happens. Someone, inevitably either says a.) Are you serious? or b.) What are you talking about?
The moment is ruined the moment you have to explain yourself.
With some people, you're easily able to tell as to whether or not they're being sarcastic.
Apparently, I'm not one of those people.

3 comments:
I am one of those people also. But you know a joke is funny when you have to explain it, right?
Of course it is. It just adds to the funneh.
Can't tell you how many times I've been in the exact same situation.
Post a Comment