Blogger Layouts

Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Socially Awkward Tuesday: We're Pregnant!

First of all, I'd like to start off by saying I'M NOT pregnant. I apologize if the 10 people who read this blog got excited for a second, believing that I was pregnant. I am not. My husband and I are NOT expecting another child.

It does bring up something that REALLY bugs me. I'm not entirely sure if it falls under the realm of 'socially awkward' as much as a pet peeve, but oh well, I'll make the case for its awkwardness.

"We're pregnant!"

It's the standard phrase when couples share they're expecting a child.  It's as if they're both pregnant with the same child at the same time. No, both of you are NOT PREGNANT! Only one person can carry the same child at the same time. I think you just say you both are going to have a baby or you're  both expecting a baby. In those cases, it would actually be true; both of you are clearly expecting a child, and you're both going to have a child.

I want to yell every single time I hear a couple say, "We're pregnant!"

Things like this make me feel awkward, and sad, and mad. Smad, if you will. (Thanks, Gilmore Girls)

Why do people say we're pregnant, instead?

Why?

Feel free to answer in the comments.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Even though it's only the woman who's actually pregnant, maybe it's a way to share in the excitement and fears yet to come. The husband of a pregnant wife is going to go through some things as well throughout the pregnancy, albeit not quite as much as the woman.

The phrase annoys me as well, but I can see some validity to a man being part of it.

Kylie said...

While I agree about sharing in the excitement, you can just say we're expecting a child. It includes the husband in the process, you both share in some of the things that happen, but only one person is really pregnant. This way, you're right and you're inclusive. :D