However, there is a TIME and a PLACE for correcting grammar. It's the difference between being helpful and just being a jerk. I will take the time to point out when it's MOSTLY unnecessary to point out grammatical errors.
| Confession time: I want an iPhone. |
Unless what the person is saying to you is completely unclear, there's no reason to correct grammar in a text message. Typing a text message is annoying to me, and I often don't use strive to use proper grammar or punctuation while texting, because it's annoying to have to toggle between the letters and symbols just to do it. I also understand the need for abbreviating things because of time constraints. Also, iPhones, Droids, and other smartphones, have annoying auto-correct features. This means that if you want to type dog, it may think you're trying to say something completely wrong. . . like clog. So, yeah, don't correct grammar unless you're ABSOLUTELY unclear as to what the person is saying.
2). Social Media for Personal Use!
Okay, you're not exempt from grammatical critique if you use social media for professional reasons, but for your own personal use, again, unless someone has made an egregious error that lacks complete clarity, or the error creates awkwardness when it wasn't intended, I would suggest not trying to correct the grammatical errors. Okay, grammaristas are now throwing things at me in their minds, but just so you know, I understand your pain. IT'S REALLY, REALLY, REALLY HARD. You want to slap someone silly every. single. time. someone uses your when they meant to use you're, but really, it's not worth it. It makes you look like a jerk, and you're also asking for trouble. Have you ever thought about any grammar mistakes YOU'VE made with your facebook posts? Have you? Well, of course not! After all, you have PERFECT grammar, right? Well, prepare to have an army of people pointing out every single grammatical error you've made while you've been on Facebook. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you! However, if you really feel the need to correct grammar, be thee not so jerkish about it when you do! Politely point out the mistake, or make a funny about it, and move on with your life. Also, remember that some people aren't naturally as wonderful of a writer as "you" are, so you should kind of get over it. However, you ARE free to lament on the demise of the English language, and you ARE free to theorize how social media has led to the demise of writing. . . in your mind. It's how I can successfully function while reading Facebook posts where nobody even tries to write properly.
| "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah and. . . BLAH! |
This one is really tricky. Granted, you don't want a person to sound stupid, but you also don't want to be the jerk who seems to get a thrill when you correcting peoples' grammar. This one requires a bit of finesse, and to be quite honest, some smooth-talkin' skillz, in order to pull off correcting grammar without like a pompous, arrogant arse. I think it's perfectly acceptable to correct pronunciation if someone is pronouncing it wrong; however, don't be mean about it. I think you should just say, "It's pronounced BLAH instead of bleh!" Donzo! Over and out! Don't go on and on all day about how that person pronounces it supposebly instead of supposedly. Also, if the wrong form is used, generally, I wouldn't correct it unless the meaning is lost without correct usage. Even if THAT IS the case, just ask them what they meant, and all will be well!
Need visual/audio proof. Well, here ya go:
Moving on. . .
| It's music. It's a book. It's a music book. |
5). Music/Literature
This one should be quite obvious, but I know there's SOMEONE out there who feels the need to correct grammatical errors in literature and in songs for kicks. Well, unless you're an English teacher/professor/copy editor/have a how-to place on proper grammar, DON'T. Just don't. I just want to put that out there just so it's there.
I'm sure there are more, but these are what I can come up with for now. Do any of you have any suggestions or thoughts? I'd like to hear them. :)
In the end, though, it's a matter of discretion. If you think it's necessary and beneficial, do so; however, unless you're joking around with a person, if you're doing it to be persnickety, then I would steer clear. You're entering jerk territory.

3 comments:
Perfect! I totally agree with you!
You know people can't SEE your punctuation right? :P
They hear it?
Post a Comment