So, I was watching CNN today. It's been awhile since I sat down and watched any news program for longer than five minutes and discovered these hot, new trends which are forgiveness and working together. While a part of me thinks that's awesome that people are doing this, another part of me is quite annoyed at these new 'trends'. I'm not annoyed at the concepts of these things, but I'm annoyed because they're 'trends'.
For example, I guess Anderson Cooper was hosting a new show on how people are coping and working together in our struggling economy. They spoke of being 'neighborly' and 'networking' and helping one another out. They went on and on about saving and paying down debt and how that's what people are doing since the newest recession.
Forgive me for being annoyed that this is what people are DOING NOW as opposed to WHAT THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN DOING IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!! I don't pretend to have scads of money; I don't. I do, however, know the concept of saving for something and paying down debt. I didn't just start this because of the recession, I do it because THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO. While people speak of bailouts, what people don't realize is their responsiblity in causing the recession in the first place.
People seem to want to live far beyond their means because material possessions mean they're 'getting somewhere' in life. Well, you can't take it with you when you go and you won't be remembered for how much stuff you had, but what kind of person you were in life. I'm reminded of the verse in the Bible where God says it's harder for a rich man to get to Heaven and...urgh...something about a needle and a camel. I totally forget the actual verse, but I understand the lesson. You see, it's not impossible for a rich man to get to Heaven, but someone of lesser means is going to hold more value in God, family, friends, etc. Meanwhile, your average 'rich' person is going to value and worship their stuff. Stuff means you're 'somebody'. Yeah... not gonna work, kids.
They also mentioned helping one another out. Honestly, people, why is this a trend and not something you just do? It irritates me that it takes a recession and being 'down on your luck' to suddenly realize that you need to help each other instead of thinking of yourselves. It's now 'hip' to help a neighbor out when they're struggling. Seriously, why are these concepts lost in this world, only to be ressurrected as 'trends'? (I know the answer. I'll get to it soon.)
Just a little while ago, I caught a few minutes of Larry King Live. He had a panel of guests who seemed to be experts on forgiveness. They spoke of the emotional and physical benefits of forgiveness. Now, I understand the benefits of forgiveness, don't get me wrong. What they were saying wasn't what bothered me, it was what they WEREN'T SAYING that bothered me.
Christianity seems to get a bad rap these days. However, if people actually took the time to read their Bibles (in which I admittedly don't do enough), they would see that what they were talking about is throughout the Bible. Not one person mentioned that. Something that's trendy is something that is one of the very foundations of being a Christian. Forgiving. God sent his son, Jesus, to this world so we could be forgiven of our sins. Where would the world be without the ultimate act of forgiveness? To be more like Christ, and therefore, more like God, we need to forgive one another for trangressions to grow in our relationship with God.
Herein lies the problem. The reason these are just 'trends' and not the way people live their lives is because they're doing it without God. If you try to do something in your own strength, sooner or later, you're going to fall flat on your face. If you release your burdens through the Lord, He takes them all. How amazing is that? I can't comprehend how amazing that actually is, but it's pretty awesome, for lack of a better word.
It kind of saddens me that once our economy is doing well again, people will forget the 'trends' of forgiveness and helping one another out because they don't have God in their lives. However, there is hope that some will come to know Christ because of their experiences during this time. Therefore, while I do get annoyed, I know that not all hope is lost. I just know where the hope truly lies. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
AMEN! Personally, though, I love when the reporters talk about these concepts as though it is completely NEW information - it is both funny and sad to watch.
Post a Comment