I wish that my family was still the oddity as opposed to the norm. What do I mean, you ask? Well, those reading may not know this, but my family isn't exactly what you call normal!
For example, I've heard MANY comments throughout the years about how I look nothing like my sisters. Well, the chances of actually looking like my sisters decreases substantially when you don't share the same father. Then people proclaim, you're HALF-sisters, right? This is the point where my hand hits my face and I shake my head. Granted, if I ever needed a organ or blood, they're less likely to be able to donate those things to me due to genetics, but how do you consider your sisters only to be 'half' sisters? I don't really get that. They've been with me through thick and thin. After all of these years, I FINALLY understand why my mother, God rest her soul, would get so upset when people would say that.
Growing up, my family wasn't normal. In school, I was surrounded by kids who came from two parent homes with a mother, a father, some siblings, and perhaps a pet. My family was 'different'. Everyone's mother was the woman who gave birth to them. Their siblings all had the same father they had.
It's just interesting that my family, once considered an oddity and one where people would 'tread' lightly, is now 'normal'. These days, I have a close bond with my sisters. Some of us may not speak to each other everyday, but we'd do anything for one another and support one another when we need it. There are no great feuds amongst us, which is a good thing. I've seen what happens when siblings have feuds. It ain't pretty, folks. Though our mother is no longer alive, I feel that we all have a great relationship with one another and we all live for the Lord.
It's just funny that though I didn't like being the oddity as a child, I wish we were the oddity today.
I wonder if any of this makes sense?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment