Specifically, why does our pride get in the way of asking for help? Especially when we're at a point where we know we can't do it alone, but we think that asking for help somehow makes us weak!
For example, last night, I felt AWFUL. I got to Matt's mom and dad's house.(that's where Colin was with my sister-in-law, Autumn) and I was so achy, freezing, and warm, that the only place that I felt comfortable was on the in-laws VERY COMFORTABLE COUCH. Colin shared his illness with his Mommy and Daddy, taking the share and share alike in families to a different level (haha). I knew in my mind and heart that I wouldn't be able to take care of Colin in this state, knowing he wasn't in the best state himself. Knowing this, Autumn called my husband at work for me and she asked if he could come and take Colin home. Now, I could have called, but Autumn just did it for me, the nice person she is. He came, took Colin home (I drove home alone after physically willing myself from their couch at my own insistance) and he manned Colin duties (i.e. got him ready for bed). With no questions or complaint, he did it.
I'm so grateful he came home, and I don't feel bad for asking for help. I'm very blessed to have a husband who will do this. He's doesn't always do this, but I think he definitely is striving to be the husband that loves his wife just as Christ loved the church.
However, I will say, I don't always ask for help, even though I need to ask for it. I often let my pride get in the way and what I'm trying to do ends up failing simply because asking for help means I'm weak in some way.
Why do we all do this?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm so glad he was able to come home and help - what a wonderful guy! I have a terrible time asking for help. According to my parents "me do it" was my first sentence and I learned it early. "I can do it myself" was apparently programed into my brain early on and you know what, I can't do it myself - ever. Oftentimes, I really do need help and suffer needlessly because I don't know how to put my need into words.
Post a Comment