Blogger Layouts

Pages

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Christmas Goals with a Toddler

The following are goals I wish to accomplish this year in regards to Christmas.

1. Put up a Christmas tree. For most, that's a given, but last year, since he was born a month before Christmas, the thought of putting a tree up in amongst the chaos of having a newborn overwhelmed me, so we didn't have one. I felt all Scrooge-like, but it was how it went in our house.

2. Pray my son sits still long enough for me to read the TRUE Christmas story to him. Last year, I remember when he was only a teeny newborn, I read to him the story of how Jesus was born from a Children's Bible that we had gotten him for his first Christmas. Of course, he was as responsive as a month old baby would be, but I felt a sense of joy reading to him the story of another baby who was born in a manger while I held my baby in my arms. I wish to continue this tradition every year of his life so he will know why we celebrate Christmas and what a blessing that is to him... and to the whole world.

3. Start shopping early... at least early for me. Usually, I can't even think about Christmas until after Thanksgiving; however, with a child, it's probably best to start early. I'm proud to say I have accomplished this goal. I do have to say, however, that it helps tremendously that we can pick out a birthday gift and start Christmas shopping for him. There's not much left I need to get for him. I also realized that in a small way, there's just another reason why God planned for Colin to be born a month early.

4. Continuing with the shopping thing, I don't to 'spoil' my child at Christmas. I want to get him gifts, sure, but I also want him to know the true meaning of Christmas, so I don't want him to always expect a ton of gifts under the tree. I want him to be always be grateful for what he has gotten, not be stingy and expect so much.

5. Don't stress out over things and enjoy the holiday. I don't wish for perfection, but I do wish to enjoy this very blessed time with my husband and my son.

6. Start traditions of my own that he will remember one day. Well, I'm not technically starting them, but continuing them. Two things that my mother did for us was buy a pair of pajamas that "Santa" will send to him Christmas Eve and put a gift in his shoe Christmas morning, provided Colin will leave his shoes outside of his bedroom door. :)

That's all I have for now.

No comments: